Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Busy, Yet Productive Month . . .with blessings!

It has been a while since I posted on here, but I have been terribly busy.  This month (June) I have celebrated my 38th wedding anniversary, Father's Day and my 58 birthday, traveled to North Carolina to see a cousin I haven't seen in 35 years, attended two separate Bible conferences in Conyers, GA, and Decatur, AL, fulfilled my pastoral duties and worked on 2 on-line courses, and if that isn't enough, painted the outside of my house (well, almost,  still like quite a bit.).  But all in all it has been a very productive and enlightening time as I have been blessed to hear some very good preaching and imbibe on some very deep and meaningful study.

While in Conyers, GA., I met up with some of my nearest and dearest preaching buddies and had a great time.  Also, I traveled over to Luther Rice Seminary and met with my Systematic Theology professor, Dr. Mapes, and had a great time of fellowship on the campus.

But today was the best day this month.  During near the end of Sunday School, I was closing out a lesson entitled What Do We Know and When Did We Know It?, and was moving out from behind my lectern in time to see a white car pull into our parking lot.  Then just before worship started in comes a family of about 7 or 8, (I think), and had a seat near the back on the right side of our church.   I made my way to them and introduced myself and they introduced themselves as the Stowe family who had just moved into our area.

That was indeed a blessing, but then when I asked, "how did you hear about us?" I was really blessed. Mr. Stowe informed me that he had read this very blog while stationed in Alaska, found that he agreed with what he read, and since he had planned to retire in this area, hunted us up.  Isn't God amazing?  I have posting on here for several years and never dreamed anyone outside of friends, and the like, would ever read my blog.  But the Lord saw to it that this family would.  Praise the Lord.  Maybe the Lord will impress them to make our church their place of worship.  We certainly enjoyed having them with us.

Well, I must finish preparing for tonight's service.  Serve the Lord, folks.  You never know when someone in a far off place may learn of it and be blessed by the Lord for your efforts.  I will never take this little meandering blog for granted ever again!

I leave you with another devotion from Colossians  1:

A Sure Weapon


1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Do you wrestle constantly with our adversary, the devil? Don't feel alone. That is the lot of all Believers. Some will try to act pious and pompous and pretend that they are above sin. But it is a ruse. The Saints are accosted daily and our only recourse is found in this verse and verses like it!

Many will be the arrows that will terrorize the Saints. The forces of Hell work relentlessly against them. Hell does not have to spend much time amongst the world, they have them already. Their focus is to cause the Saints to reproach the Lord. They laugh with glee when the Saints sometimes succumb to a well placed infliction. And it doesn't have to be much! The slightest little prick of the flesh can send the whole into convulsions of sin. That is why we must keep this verse at the top of our minds to remind us of that which we have through Christ Jesus. Our eternal redemption is secure and all our sins are past. Further, we have an advocate with the Father who continually pleads our case when we sin. Not that we should ever let sin abound, but when it does, we will in no wise be cast out, for our Lord will bind our wounds and present us faultless before the great Judge having taken our sins on Himself on Calvary.

Romans 3:24-25 has to be added to our devotion today to further set today's verse in the concrete of our minds. Paul says that we have been, 

"justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God." 

Isn't that grand! Galations 3:13 tells us that, 

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree!" 

"In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace, And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour,"  Ephesians 1:7and 5:2 .

Now take comfort in this, Christian, but also take care. Do not use it for a liscense to sin. Strive against your passions and fight the grand fight of faith. Get your self over to Ephesians 6 and put on the whole armor of God. Check for places that may be exposed and fill them with the love of Christ. The Apostle John had this to say on our behalf in 1John 1:9 :

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 

1John 2:12 goes on to say:
"I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake." 

Pick up these weapons and march into the war, with the cross of Jesus going on before!

No comments: